Monday 4 May 2015

IBD - An invisble illness


My Story

I was first diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (Inflammatory Bowel Diease) in March 2004, 2 months before my wedding.  My GP's kept saying that I had a virus but after 10 months of the same symptom's i asked for a 2nd opinion. Within 1 month of seeing the consultant i was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. The news came as no surprise as a good friend of mine had the disease so i already knew a lot about it, but it was still hard to hear and was in disbelief that this was happening to me.

I didn't really have time to think about it though as i was busy finalising all the last minute details for my wedding, so did as i was told by the Doctor.  I took the medication and everything calmed down, this was great, and after 18 months, I even stopped taking the medication and was symptom free, maybe i didn't have it and it was just a virus???

I then fell pregnant and was still symptom free, even after I had given birth, I still carried on medication free, this went on all through my next two pregnancies and life was great and i didn't think about it at all.....

That was until 2012, I picked up a sickness bug and my health deteriorated so much in the September when my middle son O had just started reception i ended up in hospital for 5 days due to being severely dehydrated and and a really bad infection. i was then put back on the medication, just when i thought the illness had gone...  

Since then the flare ups have been more frequently, the fatigue sets in and the trips to the toilet become more frequent and the pain becomes unbearable, all with knowing that you need to get through the day for the boys and my hubby.

As the disease become uncontrollable, I felt terrible and was on high doses of medication, with regular blood tests.  The blood tests showed that the medication was now affecting my kidneys and the consultant took me off all medication, I was now only on steroids.  i wanted to take the control back, I wanted my life back so asked my consultant about elective surgery, I wanted my choice to have this and not be the result of an emergency situation  This was going to be my choice and my choice was surgery, to have my colon removed and have an ileostomy bag fitted and to be cured of this horrible disease.  I was referred to a surgeon to fight my case.

My appointment came through to meet the surgeon, i went, he wasn't there but a colleague of his was, we discussed things and was nearly sent away no further on and a complete waste of the hubby's time and mine, so complained a little and was soon put on the list for surgery.

Yes, it is a big decision, and yes, it is what i want. After 10yrs of this disease, every year you have an increased risk of bowel cancer.... The big 'C' word that everyone dreads.

The Date has now come through.... eeeekkk 

We are now on operation countdown. 7 weeks and 3 days........

If you would like any further information on Ulcerative Colitis, please visit the Crohns and Colitis website, here.

Thank you for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck. I hope it all goes smoothly. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard of ulcerative colitis before but knew very little about it and didn't realise just how debilitating it is. Thank you for sharing your story and helping to raise awareness and so glad that you have managed to get a date for your operation - wishing you all the best of luck for it and a smooth recovery x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck for your operation and welcome to the world of blogging x

    ReplyDelete